English Piano Music, 1780-18009781854722782
The ABRSM 'Easier Piano Pieces' series features pieces chosen for their comparative lack of technical difficulty, therefore providing an excellent introduction to the music of great composers throughout history.
In the closing decades of the 18th century London played a leading role in the development of the piano, and native English composers were active in writing simple pieces to cater for a public that increasingly regarded piano-playing as an essential social grace. This anthology is drawn from some of the many publications that were printed to meet this demand.
- Sonata in A minor, Op. 12, Book 2 No. 11: 2nd movement, Aria [Samuel Arnold]
- Sonata in D, Op. 12, Book 2 No. 3 [Samuel Arnold]
- Sonata No. 8 in D, from ‘10 Easy Sonatas’ [M Camidge]
- Minuetto in Ab, from ‘The Harmonicon’, Vol. 2 [G. F. Pinto]
- Sonata in D: No. 5 from ‘Six Easy and Progressive Sonatinas’ [S. Storace]
- Sonata in F: No. 4 from ‘Six Easy and Progressive Sonatinas’ [S. Storace]
- Sonata in G: No. 2 from ‘Six Easy and Progressive Sonatinas’ [S. Storace]
- Sonata in A, Op. 5 No. 1 [Samuel Wesley]
- Sonata in Bb, Op. 5 No. 2 [Samuel Wesley]