Faure: Cello Sonata No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 117HN1358
🚚 Fast, free shipping on orders over $99*
↩️ 30-day easy returns.
👋 Play today! Call a local store to check stock.
In contrast to the first cello sonata (HN1357) composed four years earlier, this substantially more catchy and playful second sonata enjoyed great success with audiences and critics right from the start. Friend and associate Vincent d’Indy wrote to Fauré the day after the premiere in May 1922: “I would like to tell you how much I am still charmed by your so beautiful sonata. In it I found what is seemingly forgotten these days: music.” It therefore comes as no surprise that the sonata rapidly found its way into the concert repertoire, where it maintains an uncontested position to this today. The duo David Geringas and Markus Bellheim provided fingerings.
G. Henle Publishers stands for Urtext sheet music of the highest quality. The Urtext editions not only provide the undistorted and authoritative musical text but are also aesthetically pleasing, optimised for practical use and extremely durable. And then there is the strong, distinctive blue profile: (almost) all of the Urtext editions are bound in the characteristic blue cardboard.
Musicians trust Henle's blue Urtext editions because they:
- provide an undistorted, reliable and authoritative musical text
- offer superb, aesthetically appealing music engraving
- are optimized for practical use (page turns, fingerings)
- are of high quality and durable (cover, paper, binding)
- contain a short preface that introduces the work (particulalry useful for AMEB exams) in German, English and French, as well as explanatory footnotes for particularly interesting passages in the score
- contain a description of the sources, an evaluation of the sources, readings and a documentation of the corrections made (= "Critical Report") in German and English, and often also in French