Edvard Grieg was a master of the Romantic miniature for piano, and with his ten volumes of “lyric pieces” he more or less created a new genre all on his own. These works offer an abundance of wonderful pieces that are ideal for a guided return to the piano. It proved difficult to choose a selection of them for our volume. But we also offer well-known pieces from the orchestral suites From Holberg’s Time and Peer Gynt, which Grieg himself arranged for the piano. Naturally they are presented superbly in true Urtext.
G. Henle Publishers stands for Urtext sheet music of the highest quality. The Urtext editions not only provide the undistorted and authoritative musical text but are also aesthetically pleasing, optimised for practical use and extremely durable. And then there is the strong, distinctive blue profile: (almost) all of the Urtext editions are bound in the characteristic blue cardboard.
Musicians trust Henle's blue Urtext editions because they:
- provide an undistorted, reliable and authoritative musical text
- offer superb, aesthetically appealing music engraving
- are optimised for practical use (page turns, fingerings)
- are of high quality and durable (cover, paper, binding)
- contain a short preface that introduces the work (particularly useful for AMEB exams) in German, English and French, as well as explanatory footnotes for particularly interesting passages in the score
- contain a description of the sources, an evaluation of the sources, readings and a documentation of the corrections made (= "Critical Report") in German and English, and often also in French